National Waste Overview - 2009
On 13 December 2013, COAG replaced its 22 Standing Councils, Select Councils and governance fora with a set of eight Councils and the decision saw the revocation of the Standing Council on Environment and Water. Work is currently underway to resolve how its existing work would be handled in the future. In the interim, this website is currently maintained for historical purposes and is scheduled for archiving.
A new website for the National Environment Protection Council is being developed.
The National Waste Overview - 2009 provides a summary of key facts and figures on waste and recycling in Australia, including:
- waste, resource recovery and recycling
- national waste generation profile
- future waste generation
- per capita recycling and landfill disposal
- national recycling profile
- waste composition
- landfill profile
- organic wastes
- social values and behaviour
- regional, remote and Indigenous communities
- hazardous substances and hazardous waste
- product stewardship
- data and classification.
The overview covers:
- municipal solid waste (MSW)—household and council waste
- commercial and industrial waste (C&I)—business, educational institution and government (other than council) waste
- construction and demolition waste (C&D)—residential, civil and commercial C&D waste but excluding construction waste from owner/occupier renovations, which is included in the municipal waste stream
- hazardous waste.