National Waste Policy and Chemicals
On 13 December 2013, COAG replaced its 22 Standing Councils, Select Councils and governance fora with a set of eight Councils and the decision saw the revocation of the Standing Council on Environment and Water. Work is currently underway to resolve how its existing work would be handled in the future. In the interim, this website is currently maintained for historical purposes and is scheduled for archiving.
A new website for the National Environment Protection Council is currently under development.
To implement the National Waste Policy and support national Chemical Management Reform
- Support business and consumers to appropriately managed end of life products, materials and packaging.
- Support waste avoidance, reduction, recovery and re-use by addressing market impediments and removing red tape.
- Develop a comprehensive nationally integrated system for the identification, classification, collection, treatment, disposal and monitoring of hazardous substances and waste that aligns with international obligations.
- Develop capacity to effectively collect consistent, accurate and meaningful national waste and resource recovery data to inform policy and decisions.
What's currently happening
Consultation Regulation Impact Statement (RIS) on options for developing and implementing nationally consistent decisions to manage the environmental risks of industrial chemicals.
- Consultation RIS – Management of chemical environmental risks - comments closed 28 June 2013
- COAG Chemical Management Reform for the Environment
- National Framework for Chemicals Environmental Management
- National Television and Computer Recycling Scheme
- National Waste Policy
- Packaging impacts
- Product stewardship
National Waste Policy
- Solutions for waste management in regional and remote Australia – A compilation of case studies - 2013
- Guidelines for the Tyre Product Stewardship Scheme - August 2012
- Packaging Impacts Consultation Regulation Impact Statement - Consultation Summary Report - June 2012
- Study into domestic and international fate of end-of-life tyres - Final Report- May 2012
- Product Assessment Protocol - May 2012
- National Waste Policy: Less Waste, More Resources - Implementation Report 2011 - 2012
- More National Waste Policy: reports
- Stage 1 of NChEM Plan for COAG Decision to Investigate Options for Environmental Labelling - 2010
- NChEM Chemicals Action Plan for the Environment 2nd progress report - 2010
- Chemical Risk Assessment Guidance Manuals - 2009
- NChEM Chemicals Action Plan for the Environment First progress report - November 2008
- Principles for Better Environmental Management of Chemicals - Ministerial Agreement and Action Plan - June 2007